Handling and Recycling Information
can be disposed of in the regular trash, but it’s recommended that
them and/or replace them with rechargeable batteries
Button cell and
rechargeable batteries are hazardous and can be dropped off at the
Waste Collection Center.
batteries may be accepted by jewelers or places that do camera or
batteries can be dropped off at a Rechargeable Battery Recycling
Corp. box, which
are found in many locations.
can be recycled at any place that sells vehicle batteries and you
can save money
by buying a new battery when you recycle your old
(like Habitat for Humanity) will recycle construction materials
Recycling will recycle concrete and asphalt
Certain items can
be dropped off at disposal centers or landfills
Reuse gravel, sand,
Old cardboard boxes
can be reused for things such as storage or mailing.
accept flattened cardboard boxes
services provide recycling bins and pickups for cardboard
Sell old computer
parts to other people who need them
companies will recycle old parts for you if you send them in (Dell
Donate to thrift
stores, charities, or schools.
Drop off at the
Household Hazardous Waste Collection Center
Documents & Office
can be shredded (on- or off-site) and recycled by certain companies
unshredded documents can be dropped off or arranged to be picked up
Filled drums can be
dropped off at the Hazardous Waste Collection Center. Make
sure you tell
them whatever’s inside the drum.
Empty metal drums
can be sold to a metal recycler.
If at all possible,
repair the electronics for further use.
items that you no longer need to thrift stores, charities, churches,
Sell working items
to other people that may need them using the internet or newspaper.
Electronics can be
dropped off at almost any recycling collection center
extinguishers can be disposed in the regular trash.
companies can recharge or dispose of fire extinguishers.
Hazardous Waste Collection Center accepts fire extinguishers.
Can be dropped off
at the Hazardous Waste Collection Center.
stores offer exchange programs for fluorescent bulbs.
crushers can be bought and used in-house to reduce the volume of
disposing of unwanted food, consider starting a composting program
and turning it into
Glass bottles can
be reused as storage or for other things.
Bottles and jars
can be recycled at recycling centers
Glass windows or
doors can be recycled at building materials recyclers
- Junk mail can be a problem for both residents and business
owners. It’s a waste of paper and a
waste of space.
www-stopjunkmail-org for information about stopping junk mail.
- Include junk mail in your company’s recycling program.
- Junk mail can be recycled at most recycling centers or can
be dropped off with other paper
- Recycle magazines with other paper waste.
- Magazines can be donated to libraries, hospitals, churches,
schools, or any other place that may
collect magazines for
waiting rooms or projects.
- Some metal recyclers will pay you for any scrap metal you
- Regular recycling centers may also accept metal.
- Motor oil is considered to be hazardous waste and should be
treated as such. Do not dispose of it
with regular waste,
instead, bring it to a hazardous waste collection center.
- Some automotive stores will also accept motor oil for
recycling purposes. Call ahead to make sure
- Used oil handlers can also be contacted to dispose of oil.
- Anything that has been used to absorb the oil should also be
disposed of in the same way.
- Packing peanuts can be reused for shipping or safe storage of
- Peanuts that won’t be used can be donated to most packing or
mailing stores. Some will also take
packing paper, bubble wrap,
or other old shipping supplies as well.
- Recycling centers accept packing peanuts.
- Suppliers will sometimes recycle old pallets.
- Other businesses may need pallets if they are in working
- Bring to a recycling center. Some places may grind old
pallets into wood chips or other useful
- Wood recovery centers will dispose of pallets for a fee.
- Reuse unused back sides of paper as scratch paper for
drafting emails/letters or anything else you
- Recycle at any recycling center.
- Arrange for a recycling company to pick up paper products
from your business on a regular basis.
- Document management companies will shred and recycle
confidential papers if necessary.
- Plastic bottles marked #1, #2, or #3 can be recycled at any
recycling center. Milk jugs, soda
bottles, and water bottles are
- Recycled bottles can also be picked up by recycling services
for a fee.
Heavy Plastic Waste (PVC pipes, plastic containers, etc.)
- Plastic can be exchanged with other people who may need
- If you have a large amount of plastic to get rid of, a
plastics recycling company may be necessary.
- Plastic can be disposed of by some recycling centers.
- Printer cartridges are hazardous waste.
- Many manufacturers of printer cartridges will accept used
cartridges being mailed back to them
- Hazardous waste collection centers will accept cartridges.
- Office supply stores may also accept used printer cartridges.
- Repair tires for reuse by patching them when possible.
- There are specific places that will recycle or dispose of
used tires. Contact the solid waste
department for information.