If your business regularly plans special events for the community, employees, or customers and clients, you’ll want to be aware of some tips and strategies for making these meetings or social hours cost effective and environmentally aware.
The United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) offers a special guide to help your event planner cut back on the total of municipal solid waste generated at your businesses event. This tool is free and can pertain to any type of meeting, for any employment sector, and for varying number of attendees. Whether you’re gathering at a hotel or in your office’s conference room, there are many things you can do to save green and go green!
Tips from the EPA for business events:
- If your attendees are coming from out of town, select a location that is easily accessible by public transportation
- Pick a conference room with many windows and natural light. It’ll help to reduce eye strain and fatigue, eliminate the need for lots of lighting, and keep attendees alert
- Be sure all paper materials are printed using double-sided or provide downloading files that attendees can view on their laptop or mobile device
- If you schedule many meetings throughout the year, make sure name-tags are reusable
- Have coffee, water, beverages, and food served in reusable mugs, glasses, and plates.
- If holding the event at a hotel, ask if composting food waste is available
- Always make sure that recycling options are available for paper, glass, and plastic
WasteCare Wants You to Remember: Having an environmentally friendly meeting can be fun and enjoyable for all your attendees. The key is to plan and strategize in advance. Set key goals and outcomes and be sure to evaluate not only your green impact but also how much money you’ll be able to save!