Regardless of your business sector, every business’ goal is to make money and turn a profit. Careful consideration is to paid to salaries, benefits, and the price of good and services so any degree of “waste” negatively impacts the bottom line. Eliminating or reducing waste makes your business run more effectively and results in savings. When the business office environment wants to reduce waste, the first thing that comes to mind is to recycle. While recycling is certainly a great idea, and helps to divert materials from the landfill, waste reduction needs to take place first. By reducing the amount of waste generated you’ll immediately see cost savings in terms of fewer materials that need to be purchased.
Paper and toner cartridges are two of the most frequently used items in any office environment. Both are relatively easy to recycle and with a few changes in office policy, can also be easy to reduce reliance on. Here are a few suggestions for where to start:
1. All printers and photocopies should print duplex )both sides) by default. This immediately reduces your paper usage by half.
2. When possible, create computer files instead of paper files. Establish computer based calendar and messaging systems to reduce the need for notepads and sticky-notes.
3. Electronic signatures are legally binding and used regularly. Instead of printing, signing, and mailing or faxing documents, use an electronic signature and email.
4. Look for time and resource saving tips. Computer magazines offer reviews of new and established software, so of which may be free, to help reduce your reliance on paper and plastic while maintaining your effectiveness at work.
5. Stop junk mail that arrives at your office or home by asking the company to remove your address and delisting your business address from the Dun & Bradstreet and InfoUSA databases.
WasteCare Wants You to Remember: Every office will generate some waste that needs to be recycled or disposed of. However, cutting back the excess will save both money and the environment – so think about how you can trim down!